Quite a Year
Quite a Year
To say it is going to be quite a year is an understatement! We have more going on than we know what do with and I thought it was past time to create a way that you can keep track of us! And for my beloved husband, who does not even know what day it is, I thought it would be a good way for him to keep tabs on life at home. So here are a few things that are new for us this year:
Iraq - "Freedom Isn't Free"
As most of you know Doug was activated on January 4 of this year and is somewhere in Iraq as I write this. For those of you know Doug - this site will be the most communication you have ever had with him. And we all know how good he is at writing, return calls, etc. Maybe on occasion he can fill in a word or two himself. As of right now, I don't have an email or physical address for him but hopefully will in the next few weeks.
Heading out to 29 Palms, CA in early January, Doug spent about a month and a half in the beautiful desert for more training (he was also gone for about half of October, November & December for training). He is attaching to an infantry unit out of Ohio with a few guys from his San Antonio Unit. The nights were cold, the days long, and the food - well you can probably guess. But like most things, it didn't phase Doug. The days go by fast - the food is "fuel" - and he is from Iowa so the cold doesn't bother him. I think he feels as though they are well prepared and I know they are in good hands. I have attached a few photos from his stay in 29 Palms.
I was lucky enough to have a few days leave with him in February before they headed out. The Marines were given liberty in Vegas. Doug was the "on duty" officer so if anyone was arrested he was the person they'd call. Fortunately, everyone behaved and we were able to have a few relaxing days together. And it afforded him a few days to sleep in a warm bed, have some decent food, and see my growing belly.
His unit is now heading to or already are in Iraq - details are not given for security reasons. He is excited about seeing what it is like there first hand and contributing his part. I will keep you all updated as I hear from him. I just keep in mind that today is just another day sooner he will be home.
Baby On Board
While Doug is off serving our country, I am letting it all go and have gained about 10 lbs. I am 19 weeks pregnant and yes, Doug does know. I thought if I told him before he left, he would be less suspicious. We found out in November to our very big surprise that we were expecting and are very excited! Of course the timing could have been better - but I think Doug planned it strategically. We are due 8-4 and Doug is expected home around mid October. Don't they say that the baby starts sleeping through the night around month 2? Hmmmm......
The baby is growing like a weed. Doug was able to come to an ultrasound before he left and the baby was already ahead of schedule in size then! When we were in Vegas last month he was able to listen to the little guy's heart beat with a fetal heart rate monitor. We are going to hold off on finding out if it is a boy or a girl - although we both think it is a boy. The baby is starting to move quite a bit although I am the only one that feels it. We are keeping up with our running - I hear that you have smaller babies if you continue your exercise routine so I am doing everything I can.
Never Ending House
We are still working on the house we bought over a year ago in Round Rock. It is a 1910 house that has for all intensive purposes been gutted. Unfortunately, Doug has missed quite a few of the aesthetic improvements - so I am posting the progress here so that he can see the changes. Although it is the Money Pit, at least it looks good!
I am signing off for now and will let you know when I have more to report!

<< Home