Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Anxious Nugget

Apparently Nugget is anxious to get out of his warm little cocoon as he tried to make an early arrival on Friday. I had called the doctor's office Thursday afternoon concerned that my next appointment was not until July 6th - 4 weeks from my previous appointment. So the nurse kindly moved me up to July 1st and asked if I was having any problems. "Not really but I think I might be having more contractions at night." I said that because I truly had a hard time distinguishing between when Nugget is just pressing his butt up against my belly and when I am having a contraction. She suggested that I come in Friday morning instead. Friday morning, we got up and took the dogs for a run and noticed a few contractions. Then we Showed up at the doctors office and all of the sudden the nurse gets this look on her face and proceeds to tell me that I was 4 cm dilated. Oh no, no, no, no. Needless to say, I was a bit freaked out. She asked when my last contraction was and I wasn't sure. I told her that at that moment he was moving around and she felt my belly and corrected me - I was having a contraction. She left to talk to the doctor while I started timing the contractions - 5 minutes apart. Oh no, no, no, no. It is too early! Doc came in and sent me directly over to the hospital to see if they could stop the labor. After being admitted a new nurse came and checked me - but she said I was not dialed at all?? Then my doctor came over and I told her the good news! And she confirmed no dilation!! But now my contractions were 2 minutes apart. My doc said that although I was still in labor, knowing that I was not 4 cm dilated changed the likelihood that Nugget was not going to have a June 24th birthday.

After being hooked up to an IV for fluids and having a few shots of terbutaline to stop the labor, the contractions slowed down a bit. They kept me overnight and my contractions are becoming more and more spaced out. I am still having a few today but they seem to be in check. Per doctor's orders, I am now on partial bed rest, i.e. I can go to work and go home, for the next two weeks. She has kept me on the terbutaline for the next two weeks as well. Once I hit 36 weeks, she said I can go back to my normal routine and Nugget can come whenever he wants to then.

In the meantime, my sister from Beaumont is in town for the week. She has been wonderful and taken over my house. I feel like I am part of a TV series where you come home and your rooms are completely redone. Since I had no semblance of a nursery, she has taken it upon herself to make sure I at least am set up with the basics just in case. She and my dad have taken the guest bedroom apart and essentially scaled it down and combined it with our office room. And now they are working on the nursery. It looks great! Now if we just knew what color to paint the walls.