Sunday, September 04, 2005

Update from Iraq

Talked to my boy today - sort of. We did not get to chat on the phone as the satellite phone he usually gets to use has been handed over to guys who have families in Louisiana and Mississippi and are trying to contact families. It is amazing how such a tragedy really has affected everyone.

Doug received all of the last minute packages and thanks to all for sending them! Doug will come home with a few more lbs on him and Addie will take them right off I am sure. I had sent him a couple of videos of her including her delivery day which he was able to watch so he has a little taste of what her lungs sound like before he comes home. And he has seen how beautiful she is despite my mother calling her Dougette and mother in law calls her Doug Jr. Hopefully those names won't stick.

Spirits seem to be good in Iraq as the guys are approaching their finals days in that lovely country. Doug went to Hit earlier this week for what may have been his last time. He may have one more trip there before he heads out but for now he is back at Haditha. The front has been fairly quiet but Doug says that they try to treat everyday as Day 1 and not get complacent and have a false sense of security. They have started to go through the medicals necessary before their departure, flights have started to be arranged, etc. He can't give me exact days but I know we are close. I have even started dreaming that he is home which I have not done since he first left. I can't believe it is already September but when I think I was pregnant for 8 months and had a baby then it seems like he has been gone an incredibly long time. Almost time to start counting the days!