Sunday, August 07, 2005

Update from Iraq

After a long week last week, I heard from Doug today. He is safely back at Haditha after a tough week in Hit. The 6 marines that were killed on Monday 8/1 were his men. The one from Austin, Dale Castleberry, he knew quite well. He was in the San Antonio unit with Doug for about 4 years and Doug served as his Weapons Company Commander in Iraq. Needless to say, the loss has been tough. Dale's funeral is tomorrow and there was an article in the obituaries today about him. Doug knew him for the fine American that he was and apparently Dale had always wanted that role in life - to be a Marine. In grade school his dad had to tell the teachers that Dale had several pairs of camouflage outfits and that he was not actually wearing the same pair everyday. I went to the visitation today and spoke with his dad who was very grateful towards the Marines who served with Dale and those out of the San Antonio unit. His father said that Dale had recently sent him a letter full of pride that will be read at the funeral. The service will be held with military honors as it should be. I know I started this blog with the saying that Freedom is not Free. I just did not know how hard the costs would be to accept.