Sunday, July 31, 2005

Maternity Leave??

It's funny - I had the misguided notion that I would have time to do things while on maternity leave. But as anyone with children knows, it takes four times longer to do anything once you have a child. Mind you, it is completely worth it. Maybe it takes so long because I still just stare at her and am amazed that she belongs to me.

She has proven to be a wonderful baby, knock on wood, much to my sister's dismay. She sleeps 4 (today almost 5) hour stretches and wakes for about an hour in between. I can't say that she is an angel for the hour she is awake. Unless she is attached to me, she is not a happy camper. But again, I remind myself that you can't spoil a newborn. And she does have a set of lungs on her.

Tonight is officially my second night with just me and Addison. My mom unofficially moved out yesterday. She decided I was self-sufficient and although that may be true, we enjoyed the company. And my sister is in town staying at her house and I guess I have to share.

We have had a busy week full out outings and appointments. Addison also had her 3 week appointment and is right at where she should be - she now weights 6 lbs. 11 oz and still is 19 3/4" long. We went for her newborn pictures in San Antonio, went on two shopping trips, and went to a baby shower for her today.

We have also been interviewing nannies and trying to figure out what we are going to do for childcare. We met with someone on Friday that we really liked but my mom did not care for her. Mom has been sitting in on the interviews with me as it always helps to have a second opinion. She decided Friday that the nanny was too much like her and did not like that someone might be taking her place. It did not help that the nanny often is called "Nana" by her families which is what my mom is called by her grandchildren. Of course no one could replace my mom, but I have used the opportunity to try to persuade her that she should watch Addison a few days a week. We'll see how far that gets me.

I was able to talk to Doug earlier this week and I feel like I can start counting down the days. With his arrival date home getting closer and closer, I am getting more and more anxious which makes the days go by slower. I think August will be a long month for both of us and hopefully September will fly by!