Last update from Iraq?
I am writing what may be my last "Update from Iraq"!! I talked to Doug on Saturday very briefly as his phone died after about 3 minutes. He sounded more content than I have heard him in what is almost a year now. He managed to get 3 workouts in on Saturday alone - a run in the morning, lifted at lunch, and a swim in the afternoon. I told him to live it up because with Addie 2 workouts a day are a thing of the past much less 3. Doug is officially done with patrols and in route home. Maybe that is why he sounded so good? He is still in Iraq but has left the Dam and is at a large Iraqi military base for debriefing. He'll be there for a few more days and then start his flight to the States where he'll spend a few days in North Carolina before flying into San Antonio. The next time we talk he will likely already be in North Carolina. I have started getting ready at home - its seems very surreal to me that he will be home in just over a week. I went to go buy crunchy peanut butter to have on hand when he comes home but due to Hurricane Rita stores were out. Addie is still sleeping in bed with me and I am trying to transition her into her bassinet which lasts until about half way through the night. Better than nothing I guess. I often wonder what our first day will be like, if Addie will recognize his voice after I have been playing a tape of him talking for her at night, if she will cry less when he is home, if she will smile when she first see him. My guess is her little body won't touch any sort of bedding other than her daddy's chest. That is not such a bad thing. She is going to be spoiled rotten....

<< Home