Saturday, May 10, 2008

Happy Birthday Emmie






I cannot believe Emmie is one years old today. I imagine that I will say that every year with both of our girls. It never ceases to amaze me how fast life is going by and how quickly they are growing up. I will just have to stop apologizing for not keeping up with the blog, not having Emmie's (or Addie's for that matter) one year picture book complete, not having Emmie's pictures framed around the house, etc. There just is not enough time in the day. Doug unfortunately had reserve duty so it was just us girls today and we made the most of it. I promised not to do any "to-dos" and that we would simply enjoy the day and it was a needed girls weekend! We actually celebrated Emme's birthday Thursday night with family while Doug was here. Hamburgers outside and cake and ice cream. Emmie was very dainty with her cake and seemed to only want to pick off and eat the sprinkles off of the cake. Regardless, she was a mess afterwards. For her official birthday, we woke up early and headed off to the Chuy's 25th annual 5K. Addie was going to run her first 1K, but shy Addie showed up on the race line and wanted me to hold her. About 100 yards into it and alternating holding her and putting her down, I decided we were going to pull out of the race and try again on another day. Then we did the 5K in the double stroller. We started almost as the very last people thinking that it would be a thinner crowd and easier to get around people that way. Not so - I don't think there is any good way of running a 5K pushing a double stroller. The girls seemed to enjoy the ride (although Addie had to go potty at mile 2). After our race, we went to Zilker and played on the playground and rode the Zilker Zepher (sp?) train. Both girls loved it! Emmie kept waiving to everyone. Oh - since I haven't written in so long - there are a few other things she has under her belt. She took her first steps about a month in a half ago and really about 2 weeks ago mastered it where she prefers to walk. Last week she said what I considered her first words - "Bye-bye" as she waived good-bye at a party for Doug's office. (Addie's first words were "uh-oh"). After the train ride, we had hot dogs and fed the birds and headed home for a nap. We ended the day with a couple of hours in the pool, made pizza and brownies and watched Alice in Wonderland. Can't get much better than that - I'll post pics as soon as I find my cable.