Friday, May 06, 2005

Care Packages & Iraq Update

A friend of mine, Rhonda, was kind enough to start up a donation box at work to send some goodies to Doug and the troops. We ended up sending 18 boxes out today to Iraq!! I was going to tell Doug that I was sending him a few baby books but did not want to scare him too much. A few of the boxes Doug will hang onto for himself and the rest will go to some of the guys who don't have family. We're doing our best to keep them well fed.

After a few weeks of failed attempts at talking on the phone, I was finally able to talk to my boy last Sunday. All is still going well. They have been busy filling 50,000 sandbags and these large earth holding bins called Hescos which are seven feet tall and protect against all kinds of nasty things. They continue to make their base safer and continue their patrols to keep the city safe. He says that time is going quickly - 4.5 months down and 5 months to go. I think it has been a rough couple of weeks over there and visions of a vacation with "the family" are sounding pretty good. "The family" - that is a new one for me....