Thursday, October 13, 2005

Welcome Home!!

Welcome Home!! I have to admit have been selfish. Doug came home a week ago today and I have kept him all to myself. But last Thursday was -hmmm words cannot describe. Addie and I got up Thursday morning and we talked about what was going to happen - she was finally going to meet her daddy! She was very excited and all smiles that morning. We ran around like crazy to get the house and more importantly ourselves ready for the big return. Addie had a perfect little dress all picked out to wear - we did not put it on until we got to San Antonio because we wanted to keep it clean. So finally around 3:00 we got in the car to head South to go pick up Doug. Once we arrived, there were several people who had already beat us there. Several families, lots of kids, wives, etc. Everyone was so excited. There were welcome home signs everywhere.

Doug had called me to tell me they were running late. So Addie had time eat and get dressed. I talked to several of the families - one wife had only been married two weeks before her husband left, another had also had a baby while her husband was gone. Two of the families who lost their sons (and husband) were there for the welcoming home. Their sons were supposed to come home that day. I am not sure that I would have been able to do that but the strength of people never ceases to amaze me.

Finally around 6:00 you could hear the buss pulling into the reserve unit. As it turned the corner, I could see Doug in the front with his big hand wave going. The bus turned around and lined up with the crowd of people. I had butterflies in my stomach. Addie was passed out from the excitement. The Marines came out and stood in formation with Doug in front as he yelled "Marines, dismissed." Then all of the Marines went to go find their families. Doug came straight over to us and we shared a long hug with Addie in the middle. She finally woke shortly after that to meet her pops for the first time. It was a moment I will never forget.

We have had a week now at home and are settling in. Doug has realized how much time little ones suck up and how little sleep you get. Not suprisingly, he is able to sleep through a lot of it. Addie has taken quite well to him and is all smiles around him. Well, she does cry a bit just so that I don't feel bad. Each day though she does something different and every day we learn something new. I have a feeling this will continue for years to come.

More to come - along with pictures!