Sunday, May 15, 2005

Operation Matador

The past few weeks several of you seen in the papers stories on Operation Matador – which was a major military offensive near the Syrian border – supposedly one of the largest American campaigns since militants were driven from Fallujah 6 months ago. The operation involved over 1000 Marines with the hope of driving out insurgents in the area that had become a safe haven and training ground for foreign guerrillas from Syria, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Palestine, and other countries. From all news accounts, they consider the effort to have been a success. A large part of the forces were part of company from Columbus, Ohio that Doug deployed with early this year. Unfortunately, there were casualties with two of the Marines coming out of Doug’s San Antonio unit - Sgt Aaron Cepeda and LCpl Lance Graham. As with all of the Marines, please keep their families in your thoughts and prayers.

I have talked to Doug this week a few times via email and we talked on the phone today. All is as well as can be expected over there. His unit is stationed at three locations in Iraq. One is Haditha Dam, another is Al Asad and the other is a Camp outside the City of Hit. Roughly 50 miles separate the three. While as you can imagine, no place is “safe” in Iraq, things have been a bit more quiet in Hit the past few days – something I always like to hear. Doug actually went to deliver medical supplies to a clinic yesterday. While there, a kid helped him with his Arabic (with his Arabic book in hand) and in turn Doug was able to hand out a soccer ball. It is stories like this that make the day hopeful.

Doug cc’d me on an email he recently sent to one of the Key Volunteers in San Antonio– which is a group set up in San Antonio to serve as a resource a support network for families of deployed servicemen. I thought I would share a portion of his email to you:

I would also like to let you know that these Marines are motivated and dedicated towards serving each other and towards getting back home to the ones they love. They are in a harsh place and are doing their best to confront the true enemy while safeguarding those who wish to live in peace. I know in my heart of hearts that everyone back home can be proud of what these men are doing. They are serving with distinction and with honor. I hope that this allays some of the concerns that the Marines or the families might have.

Please also tell the families and friends that their support through e-mail, letters and packages have their effect. You should see the face of a Marine who receives a package from home. Also, for you and the other KV's, I appreciate the time that you dedicate in your now busier lives to keep the families informed and involved. I realize it is not easy with two companies spread all over the place but your efforts as well have a real impact.